A huge part of successfully using social media in your digital marketing strategy is identifying the personalities of your company and your audience – then choosing the optimal place for them to get together. The ‘flavor’ of your social platform is the foundation on which your content, ads, and even posting schedule should be built.Unknown
When starting and deciding to take our healthcare practice or business online, you will be faced with a lot of questions and decisions to make. And one of the questions is the question we frequently get about “the best social media for healthcare practice business”.
Every healthcare practice or business, no matter how small need a social media presence. This is because social media helps you build a community around your practice or business, expanding your reach, creating your brand story, and impacting how you’re perceived.
But this can only be achieved and be effective if you choose the right social media platform for your healthcare business marketing.
So now the question is: how do you choose the best social media healthcare practice and business marketing?
By the end of this post, you will understand why, when, how and which social media platform best for your healthcare business and give the right answer to the above question.
Let’s dive in…
7 Things to consider
Social media at its core is all about communication.
It doesn’t need to be complicated at all and you don’t have to change everything you have ever done to make it work. You just only need to find a way to make social media work for you!
In the second part of this blog, I am going to provide you with key features, demographics and best practices for some of the top platforms.
It’s that simple? Ok, now let us see seven things you need to consider before deciding which social media you should go for with your healthcare practice and business:
1: Are you done with your digital powerhouse?
Think about it; every healthcare practice or business might not have a physical office (there are freelance healthcare professionals), but every healthcare practice or business should have a website. Your healthcare website should be the backbone of your digital footprint and communications.
Create a healthcare website for your business, make it awesome, add great content, and direct your social media handles to your healthcare website. So people will be able to visit your digital office from your social media pages.
2: What Is The Nature Of Your Business?
Is your healthcare business catering for business-to-business(B2B) or business-to-consumer(B2C)? Every social media network is unique trying to solve or focused on a particular goal or idea. So considering this question determines the nature of your business and social media platform to go with.
3: Have You Researched Your Competitors?
Check each of your competitor’s social media pages and see what they are doing, the content they are posting, how often they are doing it, and how many people are engaging with their content.
This will help you conclude and choose the social media platform that is yielding the greatest results. However, you should correlate whichever result you find out with your set goals.
4: Go Where Your Ideal Customer Is
Remember this is less about your healthcare business and more about where your ideal customer spends their time. So that you will be consistent and add value to them, thereby making the biggest impact!
5: Are You Focusing On Your Core Target Audience?
Instead of running after the newest social media networks, you should spend time understanding your audience and how you can relate with them so that your advertising budget will work hard for you. Whichever platform, you is to achieve the best return
6: Match The Platform With Your Audience
Don’t. I repeat don’t push content to every available social media platform. Yes, you can have as many social pages as you want, but just because your healthcare business could have an Instagram page doesn’t necessarily mean it should.
Create an account where your content will have the biggest impact, focus on one platform and build it first before moving to the next social media platform.
7: Build A Consistent Strategy Across All Platforms
Start creating a consistent social media content strategy that is maintainable, and then be pushing that content to your choosing social media platforms using scheduling tools available to make it easy to schedule one or more posts per week.
Which Social Media To Choose?
From things to consider above, by now I believe you have set your goal, decided on your audience and target.
Now we’re going to determine which platform you should choose by looking at the demographics of the users and how active they are on each platform. Let’s dive in…
A household name you can’t deny never heard its name for the first time. Years after its inception, Facebook still reigns as the most popular and largest social media platform.
We go to Facebook several times a day, often without even thinking about it, to keep up with family and friends, or snoop on people we know. Now, as of 2021,
- Facebook has more than 2.79 billion monthly users worldwide.
- 86% of internet users with $100k+ income use Facebook
- 57% of U.S. social media users use Facebook to share content.
- Two-thirds of Facebook users visit a local business Page weekly.
- The average Facebook CPM is $5.31 & CPC is $0.43
- 15% of all Facebook content is video.
- With India the most active Facebook audience in the world.
- Facebook ads are one and the best of the most affordable ads for small businesses, and this extends into Instagram and Messenger.
- Interested in live video? That’s possible with Facebook.
- It has a brand new Shops functionality, which is a free online storefront for small businesses.
- Facebook has the widest age spread, with high daily usage ranges between 18-54 of age.
- It’s the content distribution channel of choice for marketers
More than ever, it’s vital you refine your healthcare business’s online presence. As the most-used social media platform in the world, Facebook might be near the top of your list.
You can take that picture, edit the picture, and publish the picture, then you sit back and watch your followers interacting with your visual content through likes, comments, and shares. Well, that’s what makes it so fun.
- Instagram has over 1 billion users worldwide.
- An average of 28 minutes per day are spent on Instagram.
- 75% of 18–24-year-olds use Instagram
- The US has the most users at 116 million, followed by India at 73 million and Brazil at 72 million.
- About 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile per day (Hootsuite)
- Facebook’s Shops functionality for small businesses, can also be hosted on Instagram
According to a survey released by Facebook, it revealed that people perceive companies who use Instagram as popular, creative, entertaining, relevant, and committed to building a community.
Those people use Instagram to discover, research, and make buying decisions about products and services.
With your audience in mind, you can take beautiful photographs related to your healthcare business and make it entertaining, Instagram is a fantastic place to showcase what you got, your values, and elevate your brand with striking images and videos.
With more than 100 hours of video uploaded to Youtube every minute! And 2 billion users worldwide, YouTube has become one of the biggest search engine platforms and a place to house your video content and share it with the world.
Many of these searches are for “How To” videos, but mind you, what you get might be fun, and highly educational… or it might be chaotic of low quality and poor videos.
- YouTube has over 2 billion active users
- People watch over 1 billion hours of video on YouTube on daily basis.
- Processing over 3 billion searches per month, youtube becomes the world’s second most popular search engine after Google.
- One of every two Internet users around the entire world uses YouTube
- An average of almost 12 minutes is spent everyday on youtube by the users.
- 60% of users would make a purchase based on advice from a YouTube creator over a TV or movie personality
- 88% of video marketers say they plan to use YouTube.
People always turn to YouTube to get information and also entertain themselves, therefore you will find success creating how-to videos, advice, tips, topic awareness content, customer success stories, case studies, or expert interviews as you seem fit.
As the number one social media platform for professionals and typically the choice platform for B2B businesses, Linkedin can help you establish your healthcare brand as a trusted leader in the field, build authority, and engage leads through conversations.
- LinkedIn has 722 million members
- 57% of LinkedIn users are men, and 43% are women
- 59.9% of LinkedIn’s users are between 25 and 34 years old
- 40 million people use LinkedIn to search for jobs each week
- 57% of LinkedIn’s traffic is mobile
- An ad on LinkedIn can reach 13% of the world’s population
- 4 out of 5 people on LinkedIn “drive business decisions”
LinkedIn isn’t a place for cat videos and gossip. The goal of every content you share on LinkedIn should be to raise your healthcare business profile, connect with other businesses, and nurture recruitment.
Though it is not as popular as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, Pinterest certainly has the potential to connect with your target audience.
- Pinterest currently has 322 million monthly active users
- seven out of every ten Pinterest users are female (eMarketer, 2018).
- Pinterest’s revenue topped $1 billion in 2019
- There are over 200 billion pins saved on Pinterest in 2019.
- There are more than 2 billion searches on Pinterest every month
- 71% of global Pinterest users are female
- 40% of U.S. dads use Pinterest, primarily to search for products, healthy recipes, and home projects
- 89% of U.S. pinners use the platform to inspire their purchases
- Shopping is the top priority for 48% of all Pinterest users
- 25% of B2B companies have said they use Pinterest for business
- Do you know pins have the longest shelf life of any type of social media post?
- 85% of Pinners are on a mobile
- Pinterest ads can potentially reach up to 169 million people
Since videos, infographics, and GIFs perform well on Pinterest,
it becomes a great place for healthcare businesses’ to share engaging content around products, data, and values.
With Pinterest Lens, you can take a photo of whatever you see and then search Pinterest for similar content.
Twitter is like a game of “Is This Possible!” and also complex, given its short life span and challenging character limit. Therefore Before you can plan an effective healthcare marketing strategy for any social platform, you need to understand who’s using it, and how.
- Twitter has more than 353 million active monthly users
- Twitter is the 6th-ranked mobile app
- Twitter has more male users (70%) than female users (30%)
- 28.9% of Twitter’s audience is 25- to 34-years old
- 99% of Twitter users also use at least one other social network
- Twitter is the #1 social platform in Japan
- 70 million Twitter accounts follow Twitter Topics
- 82% of B2B content marketers used Twitter for organic content marketing in the last 12 months
- 19% of retail banks have a dedicated Twitter customer service handle
- 27% of B2B content marketers used Twitter ads in the last 12 months
- Twitter ads can reach 5.8% of the world population over age 13
- Twitter ad engagement is up 27%
Since Twitter is great for news, You can get a lot of information quickly from world leaders, media, and organizations. Also, most companies nowadays use Twitter for quick customer services.
Just like telling the bartender to surprise you with a mystery shot, you might do REALLY well using Twitter for your healthcare business.
Snapchat is an image and video messaging app developed by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown in 2011. This app allows you to share multimedia messages that will “self-destruct” in up to 10 seconds.
Snapchat mirrors how people interact with each other. The interactions are temporary, and not stored anywhere. This enables users to share photos and videos that last a short time before they disappear forever- leaving no history.
With the potential to reach out to younger audiences, Snapchat is a great platform if your target market consists of millennials and Gen Z’ers.
- About 30% of internet users aged 26–35 use Snapchat.
- Roughly 61% of Snapchat users are female and 38% are male.
- Snapchat has over 229 million active daily users
- 82% of those users are 34 and under (65% are under 25)
- The average user opens the app’s camera more than 20 times per day
- 40% of users say they discovered a brand from an influencer’s Snapchat endorsements
- Users spend an average of 30 minutes on the platform each day
- Over 210 million snaps are created every single day
- The Snapchat app is in second place worldwide based on overall mobile usage
- With 53.5 million downloads, Snapchat is on the list of the top 10 most popular apps worldwide
Snapchat was carefully curated and It’s definitely for the playful, cheeky brands, and significantly more popular with B2C companies.
No, I am not saying it won’t work for B2B – If this sounds like your target audience, and you want your brand to feel fresh and relevant, go forth and launch the missile.
It’s new, exciting, and way cooler than anything else on the market. And unlike other social media platforms, this one is ALL about entertainment.
- TikTok has over 700 million active monthly users.
- TikTok is the 7th most used social media platform in the world.
- The app has been downloaded 1.5 billion times, is currently the most downloaded app in the Apple App Store.
- 41% of TikTok users are 16-24 years old
- Tiktok users spend an average of 52 minutes each day on TikTok
- TikTok has the highest user engagement rate per post mor than any social media platform
- 15% of video marketers planned to add TikTok to their content strategy.
TikTok isn’t the place for every business, but great for those targeting younger audiences, being innovators on a new video platform, and primarily sharing entertaining content, Small business owners with a youthful brand and entrepreneurial individuals will be successful on TikTok.
Reddit is a massive forum with a heavy focus on its communities, but the way it works is pretty different from other social network platforms. Though that makes the platform unique if you are thinking of marketing on Reddit.
It’s the niche of all niches, therefore, you need to have a plan that starts with knowing if you belong on Reddit.
- About 26.4 Million Americans Use Reddit Monthly.
- Reddit has about 430 Million Monthly Active Users.
- Reddit is currently the sixth most used social networking mobile app in the United States
- Reddit users spend 10 minutes and 23 seconds on the site per visit (Similarweb, 2020)
- Reddit is popular among users in the 25 to 29 age group (Marketing Charts, 2019).
- Posts With Questions Receive The Most Comments.
- External Links are the Most Popular Type of Content.
- Reddit Has One Billion Native Video Views Per Month.
- Reddit receives 52 million visitors each day
- Reddit is more popular with males than females
- Reddit users view over 21 billion screens of content each month
- 38% of Reddit users are tech enthusiasts
- Reddit started offering promoted posts in 2018
Reddit is more of a social forum than a social media platform. It’s a place for useful and relevant information. There are subreddits communities on everything You can ever think of (from health, news, politics, and games to SEO, science, and, of course, and of course stupidity hahaha)
We strongly believe this guide will help you in picking the best social media platform for your business. Just remember that it’s all about your personality. If you can understand the tastes of your audience, it’s totally possible to be successful on an unexpected social media platform.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us